Blueberry Pudding Cake
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 10 oz blueberries (2 cups – you can use frozen)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk ( I used 2% milk )
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 9" square pan.
Stir together 1/3 cup sugar with water, lemon juice, and
cornstarch in a small saucepan, then stir in blueberries. Bring to a
simmer stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl.
Whisk together egg, milk, butter, and vanilla in a large
bowl, then add flour mixture, whisking until just combined.
Spoon batter into baking pan, spreading evenly, then
pour blueberry mixture evenly over batter (berries will sink). Bake
until a knife inserted into center of cake portion comes out clean, 25
to 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes.
With vanilla ice cream, you kind of can't go wrong.