This is a simple, summer salad. I like to cut everything chunky style. Also, I put everything in the bowl separately until I am ready to toss. That way I can see how much of each ingredient is there, if I need more of something or less of something. Once it is built, I toss with a classic vinaigrette.
- Large chunk of feta cheese diced(I prefer French Feta if you can find it, it is a bit milder)
- Box of cherry/grape tomatoes ( you could use diced Italian tomatoes too)
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, sliced and seeded, then chopped
- 2 ears of corn grilled (if you don’t like corn, bag it or maybe use sliced red onions)
- 1 1/2 lbs. of peeled (no tail too) grilled shrimp (you could use chicken or something else here)
- fresh thyme – I scattered this all over the salad before tossing in the vinaigrette
- dab of Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper for taste
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 9 tbsp. olive oil (or vegetable oil)
The key to making a rich vinaigrette is mixing the mustard and vinegar together first with a whisk. Then, slowly add the oil by whisking until it is completely mixed in. This should make a thick rich vinaigrette.
This salad could be a base for anything else that rocked your boat to put in.