Japanese Beef Stew
- 1 1/2 lbs. sirloin cut into small bit size pieces ( don't use beef that is for stew here )
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced into 1" pieces
- 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and sliced into bite size chunks
- 4 Large Carrots, peeled and sliced into bit size chunks
- 3 cups beef stock
- 4 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. white wine or sake
- 1 tbsp. mirin
- sliced scallions (optional)
In a pot, cover the bottom with vegetable oil, just cover. Once it is hot, toss in the sirloin and brown. Doesn't take long. Add onions, potatoes and carrots. Mix another couple of minutes until everything is completely mixed together. Add the liquid ingredients, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the carrots are soft. That's it.
I poured this over rice because everyone was so hungry I figured a little more starch wouldn't kill anyone.