Strawberry Bundt Cake
I was hankering to do something with the strawberries but wasn’t sure they were sweet enough for a pie. I opted for this recipe instead. Wow. You could substitute blueberries or blackberries or even mango for this. A winner.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- Zest from 1 lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups whole-milk yogurt, not Greek
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups fresh strawberries (about 1 pound) hulled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 325. Use a 16-cup Bundt pan, preferably a non-stick. I coated it in an oil spray but you can butter it and then use a little flour to coat the butter. Important factor.
Mix together the flour, salt, baking power and baking soda in a bowl.
In a standing mixture, mix together the butter and sugar until combined. Add lemon zest and whip for about 5 minutes when the mixture is fluffy.
Keep the machine mixing and add on egg at a time, incorporating each one before the next one drops in. Add yogurt, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix together. Add the entire flour mixture and mix again until it is completely combined.
Take 1 cup of the batter and spread it on the bottom of the Bundt pan. Take the strawberries and fold them into the rest of the batter. Put the rest of the batter in the pan and make even. This makes sure that the strawberries don’t sink to the bottom.
Bake for 70 minutes and let cool. Then flip it over.
The glaze. I didn’t have confectioners sugar so we made it. One cup sugar makes 2 cups confectioner sugar. We took one cup sugar added 1 Tbsp. cornstarch and put it in the Vitamix. It works!
- ¼ cup strawberries
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar (unsifted)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Mash the strawberries lightly. Add the confectioners sugar and lemon juice together and mix. When the cake is cool pour this over the top. As usual I didn’t wait but it was delicious anyway.