The defunding of Planned Parenthood
Planned Parenthood provides healthcare for women, period. Data points directly to the fact that proactive health care saves the country millions if not billions of dollars. Those who can not afford to see a doctor do (or did) have access to Planned Parenthood where they can get free check-ups and more. That is such a win but unfortunately, there are many people in this country who see Planned Parenthood as an abortion clinic which is utterly ridiculous.
The defunding of Planned Parenthood is truly one of the many upsetting roll-backs we are seeing from the all-white male Trump administration. This is a timeline that shows all the ways that Congress and Trump administration have done to threaten women’s health care.
Here are some significant points. Stay tuned as we plan on raising money for Planned Parenthood next month.
- 1/23: President Trump endangered the health of millions of women and girls in developing countries by reinstating and expanding the harmful Global Gag Rule.
- 1/24: The House passed a bill to make the Hyde Amendment — which prohibits the use of federal funds for abortion — permanent law. Next step: the Senate.
- 1/25: President Trump signed his first executive order on immigration, undermining safety in immigrant communities and affecting the Planned Parenthood community.
- 3/6: President Trump updated his travel ban, which was halted by a judge but threatens to pull families apart by banning refugees and immigrants from six majority-Muslim countries — including many women.
- 3/7: The White House and Congress tried to block patients from accessing care at Planned Parenthood and repeal key provisions of the Affordable Care Act, like guaranteed maternity care coverage.
- 3/27: President Trump revoked President Obama’s fair pay and safe workplaces orders.
- 3/30: Vice President Pence cast the Senate’s tie-breaking vote todismantle President Obama’s rule protecting Title X patients’ access to family planning care — and President Trump signed it into law on April 13.
- 4/4: The Trump administration announced it will end U.S. funds to UNFPA, cutting off support for family planning, maternal health, and gender equity programs abroad.
- 4/7: The Senate confirmed Neil Gorsuch, who has a history of interfering with reproductive rights and health, to the Supreme Court.
I’m in on participating in the funding.Gotto wonder who these people are and under what rock they crawled out of.
They live in glass houses surrounded by pearly gates.
it is an out and out war against women as declared by the cavement
Actually it is a war on civility and humanity.
. I must take issue with three glaring misstatements of fact.1. Neither Judge Neil Gorsuch nor the 10th Circuit has ever heard or decided an appeal which has dealt with abortion.The closest one might accuse him of approaching the subject was a decade old dissent he wrote which stood for the notion that Planned Parenthood had failed to adhere to a rule of civil procedure, a dissent which is made of almost half of all appeals.The 10th Circuit decided the case in accordance with the wishes of PP.In 2700+ opinions, the man has been reversed by the SCOTUS …… once.2. PP performs one third of all abortions in the US. What would one have to do to qualify as an “abortion mill?”3. The Hyde Amendment is and has been the law for decades. It was an “amendment” to a budget bill. It is simply being codified as a stand alone bill purely for administrative purposes.This law effectively prohibits the the use of Medicaid and Medicare for abortions, something Obamacare did not attempt to overturn.This action changes ….. nothing.Fight fair.JLMwww.themusingsofthebigredca…
“What would one have to do to qualify as an “abortion mill?” “Be a hospital? They also perform abortions.
.Know any hospitals that perform ONE THIRD of all abortions?The defining characteristic of a “mill” is quantity. But, you knew that, didn’t you?JLMwww.themusingsofthebigredca…
Important to stay present and active to reverse these decisions in two years, if not in four. Important to keep account of all the supporters of Trump’s anti-women agenda. There needs to be more of a grass roots movement building steam- a movement that is sustainable for its participants and effective on the political level. We must never forget this outrage. We must never forget these misogynists and we must make sure they will go down in history exactly where they belong- next to the segregationists, Klansmen, anti-Semites and other extremists. They make Dick Nixon look like a pinko.
I appreciate everything you do and say as it is also decent and normal and conscious J