Crab Tostada and Pumpkin Seed Dressing
It is all about simplicity when it comes to a tostada. This crab tostada fits the bill. The pumpkin seed salad dressing is also simple and perfect for any night.
- 1 cup of crabmeat
- 1/2 cup of shredded napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup jicama chopped
- 1 haberneo chili minced
- corn tortillas – crisped and heated on the gas stove
- Avocados – I made a guacamole earlier for ease but sliced would be nice on top instead
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable/safflower oil
- 1 canned chipotle chili in adobe sauce
The mayonnaise is key. I did not mix it into the crab but spread it over the tostada. The first one I made was so spicy I made it again. In a food processor blend the egg, lime juice, salt and ONE chipotle until thoroughly mixed. While the motor is running, slowly add the oil until it becomes creamy.
Mix the crab meat, cabbage, jicama (you can always bag this but I liked the crunchiness), chilies and salt. Take the dressed tostada, spread crab over the top, put a slice of avocado and I added two slices of pickled red onions (sliced red onions in apple cider vinegar and sugar for 10 minutes). Voila.
Pumpkin Seed Dressing
- 1 serrano chili (seeded)
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 shallot
- 1 tbsp. flat parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (more if you need it)
Put all of this in a blender or food process and that’s it. Toss over lettuce for a salad but could easily be used for shrimp cocktail too.