Not something I make that often but Fred had a hankering. This is so easy and delicious. Could even make for a dinner party.
- 1 cup canned chickpeas – rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (I used Panko)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to season
- 1 chopped shallot
- ¼ cup niçoise oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoon capers
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 12 ounces baby spinach
- 2 cups fish (you could use veggie stock or water too)
- Pinch red chile flakes
- 8 ounces squid sliced into rings
- 8 ounces shrimp
In a large deep skillet cover the bottom with olive oil. Add in the panko with kosher salt to taste and brown. About 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
Using the same skillet, put in more olive oil and add the shallot, olives, capers and anchovies. Saute a few minutes until combined and starting to caramelize. Add in the tomato paste and continue stirring until a bit browned. Maybe 1-2 minutes.
Next add in the spinach slowly. I added it in three separate times until the spinach was soft and combined. Add in the chickpeas.
Now add in the fish broth and a few pinches of red chili flakes. Bring this to a low boil and then simmer. Add the squid and shrimp and cook until they are done.
Scatter the breadcrumbs over the top and serve. Key is a good piece of bread for some sopping up the liquid on the side.